Sunday, March 18, 2012

BC Wilderness Visions » Blog Archive » Spinal exploration

March 18, 2012 – 1:18 pm

A while ago I mentioned attending a Judith Lasater workshop on the sacroiliac joint. I promised to tell you some of the interesting things I learned at the workshop, and today I’d like to do that. My apologies to Judith if I mis-represent anything she said.

Judith’s focus was on the natural curves of the spine. When each of the curves is allowed to be in natural alignment, the spine becomes a very stable structure that supports our bowling-ball head. It might seem counter-intuitive, but it is the balance of the curves that creates the stability.

There are five sections or groupings of vertebrae in the spine, with the curves reversing direction from one section to the next: the cervical, the thoracic, the lumbar, the sacral, and the coccygeal. The five vertebrae in the sacrum fuse together between the ages of 16-18 and 25-26. The 3 to 5 coccygeal vertebrae form the coccyx, which usually fuses into a single bone, but not always.

0 comments:

Post a Comment