Sunday, January 15, 2012

Tiki Central Forums - Topic: Roots Rocka's Clay Journal

Roots Rocka's Clay Journal
umeone
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 26, 2005
Posts: 142

Posted: 2011-11-24 04:57 am   

Love Puffer! Mom's love hand made pieces, I'm sure she loves your Tiki Santa. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

 View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Apr 15, 2011
Posts: 46
From: Los Angeles, California

Posted: 2011-11-25 12:25 pm   

Hi Maddog and Linda, thanks for stopping by! Hope the both of you and the rest of TC had a great Thanksgiving!

MDM - On the puffer, the fin is what changed my direction. I was pinching 2 slabs together and it looked like it would be a cool looking fin, so I went in a that direction.

Linda - I don't think I've handmade anything and given it for a gift since I was in pre-school. Although it's her job , it was a great feeling to see how much my mom likes it. It was stocked full of mini Snickers at Thanksgiving and everybody was asking where she got it.

I'm anxiously awaiting my pottery plaster and casting slip so I can mess around with some mold making!

Well, that's what I was told I need. Anything else?

Have a great weekend!

 View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

umeone
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 26, 2005
Posts: 142

Posted: 2011-11-28 06:07 am   

Oh you've got to let me know how the mold making works for you, I'm thinking about trying one too! Good-Luck!

 View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

TikiDaye
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Mar 26, 2010
Posts: 93
From: Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

Posted: 2011-12-03 10:06 am   

TRR- I'm really loving the PNG mask! What size is it? I like the way the glaze turned out as it gives a rustic look to the piece... Well done!

Looking forward to seeing the Marquesan totem... Would never have guessed you just began this summer!

Peace

 View Profile of TikiDaye Send a personal message to TikiDaye      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Apr 15, 2011
Posts: 46
From: Los Angeles, California

Posted: 2011-12-04 7:02 pm   

Linda - When I said waiting for my stuff to make molds, I meant, get off my lazy ass and go down to Laguna Clay (only about 15 miles away), to get the stuff. Ughhh, still lagging.

Unfortunately, there was also a mishap with the Primo Beer mug. Somebody else's piece fell in the kiln and got a bunch of other glaze chunks on mine. It doesn't seem to be a lost cause, but I won't know until I go back to the studio in a couple of days.

TikiDaye - Thanks for the kind words! I'm having a great time, so hopefully it's reflecting in my work! I just try and push my limits.

A lady who's been doing ceramics for over 20 years told me that I shouldn't try to start painting with underglazes, yet, because I won't know how they'll come out and I'll end up wasting a bunch of time screwing stuff up.

To me, if I'm not messing stuff up, I'm not pushing myself.

On another note, the Marquesan is bisque fired and the toothpick holder is glazed aqua and ready to be fired again.

 View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Apr 15, 2011
Posts: 46
From: Los Angeles, California

Posted: 4 days ago; 08:04 am   

Happy New Year fellow TCers!
Hope it's off to a great start and that you're enjoying your artistic endeavours!
I'm trying to dedicate myself a little more to the clay in 2012. I've finished two mugs and am almost done with a third, but, here's some pics of some older stuff.

Here's the Marquesan totem with glaze. I didn't take the time to sand some of the edges and it shows. It was also suggested that I try dabbing the edges with rubbing alcohol, to help smooth them out.

Here's my "Skywalker" Moai. The way the glaze turned out it looks kind of like the sky and stars. I'm in the process of re-doing this one with a different glaze instead of the red, to make it look like the milkyway. It's about a foot tall and has a detachable topknot lid. Here's the inspiration for the improved edition.



On the puffer fish toothpick holder, I got glaze in the toothpick holes, so you can't put toothpicks in them.

On top of the accident in the kiln with the Primo Beer mug, my mom dropped the lid. I didn't like how it turned out anyway, so it's also on my redo list.

Thanks for stopping by!

 View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Apr 15, 2011
Posts: 46
From: Los Angeles, California

Posted: 2 days ago; 09:54 am   

Hello again!
As promised about 5 times, here's how the Primo Beer mug turned out. You can see the tip of the helmet missing and where the other piece fell on it in the kiln, right on the sideburn.

Here's the toothpick holder that doesn't hold toothpicks.

I wanted to make some crazy looking cannibal, but got lazy and didn't finish. It'll be a good test glaze piece to have fun with.

Here's the first piece of 2012 and my first Ku God.


Another Moai, but this one has a lean and stands about 13.5" before shrinkage and firings.

Thanks for looking and have a great day!

 View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

zerostreet
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Feb 06, 2010
Posts: 1119

Posted: 2 days ago; 11:24 am   

Nice work! Really like the Moais!

 View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Posts: 208
From: San Diego

Posted: Yesterday; 12:05 am   

Cool stuff

 View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Joined: Jun 17, 2002
Posts: 2054

Posted: Yesterday; 1:10 pm   

Wow you have made a lot of new designs. When you make your mold be sure to post photos here. You asked umeone if there was anything you have forgotten. You must have mold soap or your mold sections will fuse together permanently. I've tried to post all my mistakes along the way so if you check out my latest project you can go step by step with the mold making process. Remember each mold section must be able to pull straight off your sculpt. If it can't do it when you make the mold it won't do it when you pour your work. Good luck and best wishes, Wendy
_________________

 View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

VampiressRN
Grand Member (5 years)  

Joined: Nov 23, 2006
Posts: 4317
From: Sin City Lincoln Hills (NorCal)

Posted: Yesterday; 5:41 pm   

Looking great...and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the toothpick holder!!! Keep up the good work.
_________________
"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

 View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

0 comments:

Post a Comment