Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Quest for Real Food: Pantry Challenge: Mango Chutney Recipe

Even though we moved just over two months ago, my pantry already looks like I'm stocking up for Dec. 21, 2012.  I'm not, though, so I issued myself a pantry cooking challenge for this month that requires each meal to use something from the pantry (or freezer). I'm also cutting back our grocery budget and only buying the things we need or stocking up if something is really a great deal.

I am a week into this, and the challenge is helping me be a bit more creative resulting in some delicious dinners.

When we first moved here, I stocked up on dried legumes, so when I saw a recipe for Caribbean Black Eyed Peas, I knew I would use that in my Pantry Cooking Challenge! Since we don't have much meat in the freezer other than a few whole chickens, I decided to go vegetarian with this meal.  The Black Eyed Peas are cooked in coconut milk, so I wanted to serve them over brown rice and top it all with a Mango Chutney.  


Check out the *original link for the Caribbean Black Eyed Peas to go with this Mango Chutney!   {*I used dried Black Eyed Peas when making this.  I simmered the 1/2 cup peas in 1.5 cups water for 1 hour and 15 minutes prior to cooking them in the coconut milk.  This was enough for 2 servings.}

Mango Chutney
Serves 2

1 ripe Mango, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
Juice from 1/2 lime
1/4 Cilantro Leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Cut mango into small bits and chop onion and cilantro.  Mix all ingredients together and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to allow the flavors to fuse together.  Serve over Brown Rice and Caribbean Black Eyed Peas.

  Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment